Northwest Regional Housing Authority
114 Sisco Ave
PO Box 2568
Harrison, AR 72602
Main Office
Annex Office
Monday - Friday 8AM - 4PM
Main Office
Annex Office

Landlord Information

Landlord's Obligations

The role of the landlord in the voucher program is to provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing to a tenant at a reasonable rent. The dwelling unit must pass the program's housing quality standards and be maintained up to those standards as long as the owner receives housing assistance payments. In addition, the landlord is expected to provide the services agreed to as part of the lease signed with the tenant and the contract signed with the PHA.


Any type of housing may be rented - apartments, houses, duplexes, row houses, etc. - as long as the unit is located within Northwest Regional Housing Authority jurisdiction, Baxter, Boone (except inside Harrison City Limits), Carroll, Madison, Marion, Newton or Searcy Counties, meets HUD Housing Quality Standards and the rent is reasonable for the size, type, and location of unit.
Rent increases are not automatically implemented, can only be requested 60 days prior to the annual renewal, and the unit must pass the initial inspection. The landlord must give the tenant and the housing authority at least a sixty (60) day written notice of an increase before it can go into effect. A copy of the increase must be submitted to NWRHA before the rent increase can take effect. NWRHA does not put a limit on the amount the landlord can request for an increase; however, the new requested rent must be reasonable in comparison with other similar units in the area. Once NWRHA receives the notice of rent increase, a rent comparability study is conducted to determine if the new rent for the unit is reasonable in comparison to unassisted private market units in the area. If it is determined that the rent is not reasonable, NWRHA will contact the landlord and advise him/her of a reasonable rental amount for the unit. If the landlord does not agree to the amount, the Housing Authority and landlord will have to negotiate another acceptable amount or the owner can provide the family with a notice to vacate.

NWRHA requires the tenant and landlord to enter into a written lease agreement annually. NWRHA must review and approve all leases before the landlord can use their lease for the program. The initial term of the lease must be for 1 year here at NWRHA. The lease will automatically convert to a month-to-month lease term. The landlord must agree to include the HUD Lease Addendum as an attachment to the lease. If the landlord's lease contradicts anything in the HUD Tenancy Addendum or program regulations, the addendum and program regulations shall prevail. When the HAP contract ends, the lease automatically ends.
Tenants are responsible for their own security deposit in accordance with state and local laws. Landlords are allowed to charge a security deposit similar to what is being charged to renters in the private rental market. The Housing Authority prohibits security deposits in excess of two months of contract rent. Landlord's security deposit amounts charged to a Housing Choice Voucher family must be consistent with the unassisted tenants on the private open market.
If the landlord wants to terminate the lease, the landlord can only give the tenant a notice WITH CAUSE and with the proper action according to the Arkansas Landlord Tenant Law. The landlord and tenant can also mutually agree to terminate the lease (in writing) with notice in our office before the 1st of a month, to end the end of the next month. Forced evictions, such as changing the locks, turning utilities off, illegally taking procession of the unit under false pretenses, are illegal in Arkansas and will subject the landlord to severe criminal charges and civil penalties. A landlord may choose not to renew the lease at the end of the lease term. The owner must give the family a minimum of thirty (30) day notice to vacate the unit. Due to the time required to process a family to move, it would be advantageous for the landlord to provide the tenant with sixty (60) days’ notice to vacate, with notice in our office before the 1st of a month, to end the end of the next month. NWRHA does not conduct move-out inspections. Landlords must conduct their own move-out inspections of the unit.

You must screen the prospective tenant carefully to ensure that you are making a good selection. NWRHA does not screen families for suitability or behavior. We only screen families for income eligibility and criminal background; therefore, NWRHA cannot provide a reference as to their expected behavior as tenants. You may use any or all of the following screening procedures to approve or deny an applicant:
  • Credit Check
  • Criminal Check
  • Home Visits
  • Landlord References
  • Employment
NWRHA strongly encourages landlords to screen prospective tenants and to use all or any of the above screening methods as long as they do not discriminate. Discrimination includes any tenant selection based solely on race, color, religion, sex, familial status, national origin or handicap (disability), or sexual orientation, or gender identity. You may not discriminate against families with children. Your satisfaction as a landlord will be directly proportionate to how well you screen potential renters. Screening and selection are completely landlord responsibilities.
Free listing of available units: Landlords are welcome to list their units with us through or by calling our office at 870-741-5522.
Expand Close All
We provide housing without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, physical or mental handicap, familial status, national origin, or other protected class. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326W, Whitten Building, 1400 Independence Ave. SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call Customer Service at 202-260-1026 (Voice), 1-866-632-9992 (Toll Free), 1-800-877-8339 and 1-866-337-8642 (TDD or Local Relay and Federal Relay Service). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. In accordance with federal law and United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex or familial status. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).
Go To Top Link